ehappyprince
Monday, August 13, 2007
  Metropolitian St. Louis Psychiatric Center
May 21 - August 13. This is my stint with Metropolitian St. Louis Psychiatric Center.

It's my first and important exposure to the field of mental health. Since arriving here, I thought I wanted to take the opportunity and expose myself to something different besides youth work.
Hence, my venturing into mental health. As I reflect back to my previous practice experience, I found myself lacking the knowledge and skills in intervention with both adults and youth who exhibit symptoms such as mania and depression. So, besides doing coursework in the DSM IV, which allows me to make diagnosis once I attain my clinical social worker licensure, I've also equipped myself with knowledge, skills and experience in mental health.

What was really memorable were the patients that I worked with during my stint. Especially patients with deep seated depression, generalized anxieties and alcoholic problems. These are the people who are really down and out in their lives to the extent that they require psychiatric intervention. Working at that deep level with the patients can be nerve-racking, especially when I have to hold the emotions of the patients. However, in my short stint, I see changes in some of my patients. I am confident that some will do well.

For the record, during my nearly 3 months there, I saw exactly 70 patients.

So as I handed in my ID Badge on my last day, I was really glad for this exposure. I can't help but to hope that the people who come through the doors of MPC will be able to find that inner peace and healing in their lives.

God Bless America!
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Here you go! After much nagging from my friends, decided to revive my blog again! "It only takes 10 mins a week to let all your friends know what you're doin'..." Heh

Name:
Location: St Louis, Missouri, United States

I'm a social worker! "I help others so that one day they will go round helping others!"

Archives
June 2003 / June 2005 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]